Contact me!

Contact me!
crysu@verizon.net
949/632-7202

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Have we lost our way? Classic versus Modern Dressage





I ran across the top dressage photo while looking at images of rollkur, and it got me thinking... have we moved forwards in riding?  I would like to say that we have, but it has become increasingly clear that we are moving further and further away from the classical precepts.  Dressage is about training the horse to be the best that he can be and help him develop his muscles so that he moves more efficiently and has a more pleasurable way of going.  I was taught by my best friend who was a working student for Sally and David O'Connor that we are developing a partnership that is based out of respect for the horse.  Clearly, rollkur is a violation of this mutual respect.  How can you say that you respect when you force a horse into what is a very uncomfortable, unhealthy, and subservient posture?  The truth is that you cannot!!


The first thing that struck me about these 2 photos is that these are CLEARLY grand prix level horses as they are in a very upright and uphill frame with a high degree of elevation and extension through their limbs, and while both horses are clearly on the bit and on the aids, and YET they are slightly IN FRONT of the vertical.  This goes absolutely against modern dressage riding, where many horses are in fact ridden slightly behind the vertical.  One only has to look at the FEI's response to rollkur to realize that this is the status quo, and it is with us to stay.    I have been reading about the current trend in dressage where the horses that are scoring highly are in fact those horses that are slightly behind the bit.  My question is, If we TRULY believe in the teachings of greats like Balkenhol, how can we then also accept rollkur or LDR (low down and round) and encourage horses (and riders) to be behind the vertical?  To me they are both mutually exclusive methods of training.  Until we have a governing body that truly steps up to the plate and recognizes rollkur for the abusive technique that it is, in my opinion, we will continue to drift further and further off of the mark.  


When I was introduced to dressage, there was a strong focus on my hands because I had very poor use of my hands and was (unintentionally) very harsh with them.  I learned early on that I needed to keep the lines of communication open by having softer, following hands.  The second lesson that I learned was that if a horse was behind the vertical it is considered an evasion of the bit.  Now, I am learning, that the judges like to see the horse slightly behind the bit, while they SAY that the correct method is slightly in front or right on the vertical.  The proof is in the pudding, and until we reward those who are using the classical slightly in front of the vertical frame, this trend to be behind the vertical will continue.  While this is the preferred frame, training methods like rollkur will exist.  Thankfully there is a very strong and vocal group of dressage riders that stands against this training method and the "modern" style.  


So, to answer the original question, yes we have lost our way, but there are still a large number of us who will continue to use the classical style!



See you in the Ring!
Crystal


To learn more about this topic and to find out how rollkur impacts a horse's movement, muscles, airway, psychology and even overall health I recommend reading Gerd Heuschmann's book.  Gerd was one of the key presenters to the FEI discussions regarding the use of rollkur.  Keep your eyes peeled for his presentations locally, as he does tour to continue to educate dressage riders in the mechanics of dressage.  He also has a DVD for those that prefer to use that learning format.
















  

No comments:

Post a Comment