Contact me!

Contact me!
crysu@verizon.net
949/632-7202

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Equipment Must Haves!

Soooooo, since I am a NOTORIOUS shopper, I thought I would share a bit about my personal must haves... plus I can tell about my BOMBS, because I certainly have those too, ask my husband!!!


First I want to introduce the Plymouth Fancy Stitch Bridle:
  I purchase several of these through SmartPak.com for my lesson horses, and I LOVE them!
These bridles retail for $52.95, but certainly look like a mid-level bridle!  You can easily take these to shows or just use these to knock around at the barn.  The leather is a bit stiff, but with oiling becomes more supple.  There is NO smell of poorly tanned leather (which is ALWAYS a tip off to poorer quality leather), and just a little stretching over time.  They retain their color and the stitching is solid.  The reins would be my ONLY complaint as they too are a bit stiff... they take some time to break in, which can be a pain when riding!  Personally I HATE stiff reins, so I replaced the reins with another pair right away for my own horse's bridle.

Plymouth Dressage Bridle:

  I FELL in LOVE with this bridle when it showed up.  This bridle is very soft and supple and the padding is very nice.  This is another bridle that exceeded my expectations for a $52.95 bridle.  This bridle can easily do double duty as a show bridle or a schooling bridle.  It certainly looks like a higher end bridle but is just a fraction of the price.  Again there was no smell, and the dye job was very nice.  The leather is very good and it is at least middle quality pieces of the hide.  The accents are stainless steel which I prefer to brass.  I didn't have the problem with the reins I did with the hunter bridle because they are the cotton web reins.  I haven't had this problem, but one of the SmartPak reviewers experienced some color bleed, which stained her Palomino's face.  To eliminate this problem I would clean it a couple of times and then oil it.

SmartPak Fleece Dressage Girth:
  This is a solid piece of gear for a very small price!  At $25.95 it is hard to go wrong.  This girth is washable and seems to be very breathable for the horse.  The fleece is soft, and has great padding... not too little, not too much; just right!  This is a great product for a lesson barn or to stand in as a schooling girth.

SmartPak Fleece Girth:
  This is another very affordable girth; $25.95.  I am always leery of buying horse tack that has a very low price... I have regretted the choice in the past!  I first read the reviews on the SmartPak website, then ordered the Dressage Girth first.  Pleased with those, I purchased several of these for my lesson program and they are holding up very well.  They are washable and fit the horses well.  I like them because they have a very low likelihood of causing the horses saddle sores.  It looks like a schooling girth, so I wouldn't use it in shows.  Overall a solid product!

Lettia Fleece Girth:
  This is my favorite fleece girth!  It costs $44.95, but is really nicely made.  It looks a bit more appealing in person than the SmartPak girth, but since I was buying for a lesson program and could get 2 for the price of 1 of the SmartPak girth, that's what I went with.  I own 2 of these, and they are great.  They wash well and wick the sweat away from the girth area well.  Typical of fleece, it has pilled a bit, but still looks snappy!  These are definitely a step up from the SmartPak girth.  You could get away with this girth at a schooling show, or a county show.

Lettia Girth Cover:
Priced at $22.95, these are great girth covers!  I hate it when the girth cover is so thick that it adds bulk under the leg and keeps the girth from being fastened... this one DOES NOT do that!  I love the quilting that wicks away the horse's sweat and the nice looking fleece.  These wash easily and still look good after a few washes.  A little known fact is that you are NOT supposed to dry fleece in the dryer... that creates the matting and pilling we so often get with fleece.  Hang drying will keep the fleece in good shape and help it to last longer.  My one complaint is that it has the tendency to get loose threads in the quilting.  I use this cover to protect my Antares Spooner girth, and it does that well... after even a long hard ride the girth is still dry!

Mattes Girth Cover:
  Generally, I like the Mattes brand.  BUT...This was a very expensive bomb for me!  This BOMB cost me $94.95 and I had less than a handful of rides with it.  This cover was sooooo bulky, that not only did it make it so that my girth didn't go on easily anymore, it was so bulky that it interfered with my leg!  It kept me from wrapping my leg on the proper spot on the horse and actually either forced me to keep my leg in front of or behind the girth.  I also couldn't get it in the right length, so it was obviously short, then after I washed it following Mattes instructions to a T, it SHRUNK 4 inches!!!  After that, I couldn't use it for my horse anymore and tried to sell it on ebay at a HUGE loss... needless to say, it NEVER sold!  Avoid making this $100 mistake!!!

  After purchasing this helmet, I decided that I would NEVER use another brand.  This helmet not only fits perfectly and comfortably, but it is FLATTERING!  I fell in love with this helmet after purchasing a discounted discontinued model from a local tack store.  I had it over the summer, and despite the temperatures being over 100 degrees Fahrenheit, it was comfortable!  It is on the pricey side for sure, but will last for a long time!  $295.95

Last on my list of must haves is the Stephan's GelEze Sheepskin and gel half pad:
This is the BEST half pad I have ever owned!  Though it is a bit costly, it is WELL worth it!  This saddle pad washes easily, and stays very nice with a bit of combing after.  This half pad fixes a multitude of saddle fit problems on a wide range of horses.  It provides impact protection and shock absorption in some critical areas of the horse's back.  This product now sells at $103 and usually has to be shipped from England.  You can often find it on Ebay at a very good price, which is where I got my first one for $60!

Watch for more product reviews coming soon!!

See you in the Ring!
Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment