Contact me!

Contact me!
crysu@verizon.net
949/632-7202

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Defining Fear

This is a more personal note, particularly in light of my recent experience. For those that don't know me, I was injured by my own beloved horse during turn-out. I did all the right things and my horse is very bonded to me, but accidents still happen, and horses don't think in the same ways we do! I was kicked as he turned away to go run and needed 33 stitches in my left arm and also have a small hairline fracture. I was actually very fortunate as there seems to be no major damage; tendon, arteries, and nerves all intact! I may have some elbow damage that may require surgery, but that is hard to determine right now, and if I do need surgery, my PT collegues tell me it's very minor... Since then I have felt fear in dealing with my 17.3 hh behemoth. As things settle, and the time passes, it is easier and easier to overcome, and I have in fact ridden my horse in the arena at the rescue barn (where he is being housed now so that I have help in handling him and riders for him) on the 2nd day of his stay at all 3 gaits with my hard cast, with a very large cow, a large pig, several goats, a donkey and lots of stallions all around!:) He is adapting quite well now that he can see me more often since the accident... he's a big mama's boy! I have had other horse related injuries in the past (it's impossible not to in this sport), all of them minor, although the dr reports that I have fractured the same bone before (huh?).

At some point or other you will have to deal with horse related fear, this is almost inevitable. Fear is not something to be embarrassed of, but it should also not be ignored. Fear is our brain's way of telling us to be cautious, it also helps us avoid injury. It often stops us from injury. There are two types of fear; rational healthy fear, and irrational fear that stems from other deeper issues. 

Noted equestrienne Jane Savoie has several articles and even a page dedicated to it, so we are NOT alone, and it really is common. Jane savoie shares that the rational fears can be dealt with by planning, and practice. Breaking horse related exercises down into smaller steps, and developing underlying skills and knowledge so that we have the background and ability to tackle the fear. The second type of fear is related to our brain's scapegoating an activity, often these are irrational and not really caused by the thing we are afraid of be it flying, spiders, or in my case heights. 

An example of irrational fear is an advanced rider's fear of going to horse shows... there is absolutely no reason for the person to have any fear of them, but it can reflect this person's fear of being out of control, being in front of crowds, being judged by others, etc. An example of a rational fear is a beginner's fear of going to a horse show; the beginner is expressing fear of something unknown to them that they aren't prepared for. The beginner needs to develop confidence in their ability to ride the skills they are being asked to demonstrate, they should visit a few horse shows, possibly with their mounts, and participate in schooling shows to gain confidence in themselves.

I highly recommend checking out Jane Savoie's facebook page and joining her group about dealing with riding fears!

I will be exploring the issue of fear in notes to come, as I feel that it is a highly relevant issue not only to myself, but to those who participate in any higher risk sport.
See you in the ring!
Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment